James Madison Endowed Professorship A
The James Madison Professorship in Law was made possible by the Carnegie Foundation, and, following a gift from an anonymous donor, was reaffirmed by a special action of the Board of Visitors in 1958. Additional funding was provided by the Law School Class of 1967 at their thirty-fifth reunion in honor of Walter Wadlington on his retirement in 2002. First awarded in 1916 to Law School Dean William Minor Lile (Law 1882), the chair honors the nation's fourth president who, as a valued adviser to Thomas Jefferson, helped select the site for the University, served on the original Board of Visitors, and succeeded Mr. Jefferson as rector. Mr. Madison was the primary author of the United States Constitution. The chair was re-created as a distinguished professorship in 2003 in recognition of an infusion of funds from the David A. Harrison III bequest in 2002.
John C. Harrison 2009-present